Friday, June 03, 2005

And it’s Sin City… Sin City F.C…

Attended advanced screening of Sin City last night with Houghton. That’s right- I saw it 18 hours before the rest of you chimps. That makes me better than you (unless you went to the premiere, or made the film, in which case I want to be you).

In summary, it’s an excellent movie. Morally duplicitous, and at times completely bankrupt of any notions of right or wrong (how the average American copes with that is beyond me!). The acting is edgy, the setting atmospheric and the violence pretty gratuitous. The greatest film called “Sin City” ever made!

I wish I could write more. I could make comments like “this film evokes the atmosphere of early 1940s film-noir crime capers”. But I can’t. I’ve never seen any 1940s film-noir. I would love to make comparisons to the original comic books, but I’ve never read them (not sure how that happened, I was probably too engrossed in issues of Annex or Askani’s Son). (However, I have got “The Hard Goodbye” (signed by Frank Miller and dedicated to yours truly!) and will be reading it on the way to Stockholm this weekend (undoubtedly leading to an assault on Mile High Comic where I clean up the rest of the books).

That’s probably the area that interests me most- the translation from the comic to the film, especially with all the comments I’ve heard about Rodriguez using the comic book as a story board. I read an interesting article in one of the broadsheets which has frighteningly shots of identical looking scenes in the film and panels form the comic book. So, I’m going to find out more about this, read the Sin City Graphic novels, watch the film again in a few weeks and then get back to you. Hopefully with something better than “the film was… err… good. Very… very… good”.

In the mean time go and see it! And, more importantly, read the Sin City Graphic novels. And now normal people can enjoy them, without looking like complete nerds. Similar to the Harry Potter re-covering (look at me, I’m reading a crap, derivative CHILDREN’S book without a crap, derivative children’s cover) Dark Horse have released all the graphic novels in a new format that makes it look like you’re reading a word-book. You too can enjoy comics without the horrific stares of dread I get from my fellow passengers as I unbag a copy of “John Carter, Warlord of Mars” to read on the DLR every morning.

Join us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home