Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Deadheadinburgh

So, my summer in Edinburgh has begun with a visit to a comic shop on my first day!. After work I walked to Deadhead Comics on Candlemaker Row (Sam, was this the place in Grassmarket that you mentioned?). I could have got there quicker, but Edinburgh’s three-dimensional road structure meant I got lost. Like the location of Daredevil and Spiderman’s fight the Surgeon-General on the cover of Daredevil #305, this place really is M.C.Escherland.

It was quite hard to track down the place electronically. They don’t appear to have a website, so I had to rely on Google and various shop databases, and then I called up to check whether they still existed and whether they would be open after work (considering FP Edinburgh shuts at 5:30pm most nights– Shambolic!)

It stayed open until 6:30pm, which would be very handy to pick up new issues from, were it not for the fact that they charge £2.20 for a $2.99 comic (compared to £1.80 at Orbital and £1.60 at FP Manchester (I’m assuming/hoping this will be the same at FP here).

They had a good supply of back issues – about 25 long boxes worth, all priced high (i.e. not 50p an issue! They did however have a few 25p/50p bins, so I picked up two backs for 75p – two issues of the four part “Batman/Tarzan: Claws of the Cat-Woman”. At £9.99 for 100 boards (Comicraft), it’s worth bearing in mind as a source of supplies, although I hope FP will be cheaper.

All in all, a nice independent shop and I wish it well. I hope one day I will be able to support shops like this more, but currently my aim is to support the industry while maximising product/pound, so I won’t be heading here regularly unfortunately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home