Thursday, August 11, 2005

Free Comments Day I - I am the Two-headed Stepson of the Old School

I recently had my first foray into the world of So So Silverage recently, and read their post entitled “I am the Red-headed Stepchild of the Old School”, (go here then scroll down)

The post talks about how different things are when your oldest memories are all post-Crisis.

Brilliant stuff (as I commented on the blog, in fact) - they've articulated perfectly what I yearn for - a day when millions read comic books and they made "silliness" a fine (and fun) art.

I do disagree with some of the points. While it’s great that there are some remnants of the Silver Age comics have moved on. That was (I conjecture) part of what made it so great – the familiarity yet freshness when compared to the Golden Age. So I’m happy that Barry is dead and Wally is the greatest and that the Corps disappeared for a while, providing adequate showcasing for Kyle as the one, true Green Lantern.

Part of the jealousy is the feeling I get that back in the day people looked forward to new comics coming out, and couldn’t wait for new comics day. This went away as more and more unimportant, contrived tripe was being churned out by the Big 2.

Luckily DC are making Thursdays (in England) fun again. But regardless, I too wish that the Composite Superman was part of my childhood memories... (Sigh).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home