Monday, October 03, 2005

Loeb-otomy

I’m sure I’m not the only one glad to see that Jeph Loeb has signed an exclusive with Marvel.

In August 2003 I was sat on Brighton Beach with a copy of each of the two covers to Batman/Superman #1. Yes, I know that’s not the proper name of the title, but that’s a story for another time. I was going out with a girl who had no appreciation for comics at all- after we broke up she binned my friend’s copy of Watchmen I had given her (well, I wasn’t going to give her mine, was I?). While she lay sunbathing I read the issue. Don’t worry, it was a pebble beach.

I was so excited. I’d loved Ed McGuiness’ art since seeing it on the covers of all those Deadpool comics which I bought when they came out and am planning to read this Christmas. And as for Loeb – I didn’t think much of Long Halloween the first time I read it, but I absolutely loved Dark Victory – the pinnacle of Tim Sale’s career. Jim Lee, a hero of the Blog Cave and recipient of several chants in his honour, made me overlook the story of Hush.

I remember excitedly exclaiming on the way to the beach that I’d never thought I’d see a Batman/Superman title in my lifetime, and how I loved team-up books. She didn’t care, and I didn’t care that she didn’t care. It was one of our happiest days together.

Reading other blogs, I get the impression that I’m not a discerning as the average comic book reader, because I quite enjoyed Loeb’s run. At least, I convinced myself that I did – overlooking each plot inconsistency and blatant attempt to crowbar anything Silver Age into the title.

However, having just read B/S #22 – it is time to speak out. Loeb does not know how to write serialised fiction that makes sense when read with more than a quarter of one’s brain in gear. Period. He has had the amazing fortune of working with some of the best artists in the industry, who have carried him through all those inner monologues that make the Victorian novelists look like Rob Schneider.

Joe Quesada, please please give Jeph Captain America to write – the only title I can one hundred percent guarantee I will never ever read if it was the last comic book on Earth.

Many thanks.

3 Comments:

Blogger rhein said...

i have to know, you suck a super hero fan...fanatic:), what's your halloween costume?

2:38 pm  
Blogger Bat-Mac said...

Spider-Sam: Not even the genius of Brubaker could get me to read Cap.

rheiny: My halloween costume of course be Batman, or possibly the slightly scarier Incredible Hulk. Given that I'm 27 I'm not sure if you'll see me in it though!

2:11 pm  
Blogger DanProject76 said...

No mate you MUST read Brubaker's Cap! I never thought I would be caught dead with a Captain America comic but it's as good as Bendis' Daredevil. Honest.

8:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home