Thursday, June 09, 2005

My So-Called Strife

Nibbles, currently in New York, sent this to me today:

"They're getting a new server with no download limits, so no cap on 2GB a day from next week!!"
He is referring to the Essential Mix download site which we use. This follows on from his recent text message, letting me know that instead of downloading three a day like in London he can now go to bed and set 17 going. Happy days, my friends, happy days.
Always thinking no steps ahead, I replied:
"What are we going to do once we get them all?"
It then dawned on me that this situation very much parallels the history of my comic collection:
  1. Initially plan is to get what can listen to/read and be very selective.
  2. Gradually, with good intentions ("You never know where you may find hidden gems") mixes/comics increase in number.
  3. Soon, plan becomes "Eventually I'm going to own them all, so might as well start getting them randomly now" (yes, I did once think that I would own every comic ever published" (!))
  4. Speed at which mixes/comics are obtained exceeds speed that they can be consumed.
  5. Soon admin issues start - "Where am I going to keep them all?” Space and cost - in time and money - of processing (filing/bagging and boarding) becomes a big concern.
  6. The amount of effort/money needed just to maintain the collection reaches a ridiculous limit.
  7. You consider "deleting" stuff as you get desperate.
  8. When you think about what you want to get rid of, you can’t bring yourself to jettison anything.
  9. Acceptance – your life is lame but you love it!
Eat that, Kubler-Ross!
Once I reach a definitive conclusion on how to deal with this, I'll let you all know. The sky will have turned red by then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home