Thursday, June 30, 2005

We have a winner...

I sent the following to Strand Books in New York recently:

Hi guys. I'm looking for a copy of this (Ultimate Spider-Man Barnes and Noble exclusive hardcover).
I have a friend who is currently living in New York. Could he come and pick up a copy of this from your store? If so, which store? Also, when you say used- is the book damaged in any way. I look forward to your reply.
Thanks
Bat-Mac

and got the following reply very promptly:

Greetings and salutations Bat-Mac.
Relative to your query, ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN COLLECTION is in Near Fine condition evincing a slight bump to the head of spine which does not affect interior pages text or art; its dustjacket is in Near Fine condition.
Pursuant to your request, ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN COLLECTION will be commended to the custody of the basement information desk of our main store located at 828 Broadway, corner of E12th Street, in NYC. It will be available for retrieval later today and held under your name for 7 days thereafter.
Thank you for your kind patronage.
Sincerely, STRAND BOOK STORE INTERNET DEPARTMENT

I hereby announce that Strand Books are the first recipients of The Blog Cave's "Giant Penny" Awards.

What qualifies them for this ridiculous award, you don't ask? It's patently obvious: any email which starts "Greetings and Salutations", uses the word "evincing" and describes a graphic novel being kept back as "commended to the custody of the basement..." deserves a giant double-headed dollar with one side scratched out, let alone a penny. I don’t even know if Pursuant to your request” is grammatically correct English!

The best I could do in reply was this:

Thank you for this- much appreciated. My associate will appear and gather it at some point over the oncoming week.

… which is absolute rubbish in comparison! Please observe that I think “oncoming” and “associate” are long words. My parents would be proud.

Look out for many more err... prize... give... Blog Cave... to... things...good

(Nibbles - highest thanks go out to you for picking this up for me. Truly legendary.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home